Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Who Says Kids With Autism Can't Communicate Without Words?

Lynda, like many children with autism had only a few words to make her wants and needs known.  Yet there was seldom a doubt about how she felt about most topics.

Having photographs taken was not on her list of "approved activities".  Or more than one picture shot as she was on the move qualified as an unapproved plan.  These were subject to any means of non-verbal communication that she felt necessary to get her point across.

It doesn't take any words for you to understand what she was saying in the picture below.  Translation:  I have posed for many more pictures than I feel was necessary and now I'm going to give you my best non-verbal communication tactic interpreted loosely---I'm tired of being dressed cute.  I'm tired of smiling.  I'm tired of wearing shoes and in general I am not having fun anymore so DO SOMETHING NOW!     Can you imagine how frustrating it must be to a child who has limited communication skills but knows exactly what she'd like to say?  Oh, and just for the record...this was the last picture we took that day.  A few minutes later she was dressed in jammies and playing with something that could be lined up nice and straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment