Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Little Doll on Halloween

 This was Lynda's first Halloween with us in 1975.  She was four years old and I don't have to tell you much more because the grin on her face tells the rest.

I think this was the only Halloween costumes that I ever bought.  This picture was her Daddy's favorite of all the pictures we have of her.  She was sitting in a little cradle that my Uncle Forrest had made.  She was still just a tiny thing.  This picture just makes me want to squeeze her.

The picture below of Lynda as Raggedy Ann was made in 1976 when she was five years old.  This is one of my favorite pictures of Lynda, actually.  The pose looks like she just sat down and said "Shoot when you're ready".  LOL  Obviously this shot was made after the other five rolls of film had worn her out.  Her hands are even folded in her lap.  I made this costume and she did look just like a little doll.  The big Raggedy Ann doll that she is sitting on in the first picture and the big one behind her in this picture is the doll we bought the night before she came to be our foster child.  It was always used to sit on but never to play with.  When Kevin and Kristopher came along, I made them a Raggedy Andy costume and posed them at about the same age.  I had to do theirs a year or two younger because by age five they were choosing their costumes and Raggedy Andy wouldn't have been the choice.

These pictures bring back such sweet memories of a time that was so much safer for our children.  I remember making candy apples and caramel apples for the children who trick-or-treated on our street.  As far as the food was concerned, the only thing parents worried about was kids getting a stomach ache from eating too much candy, not poisons or razor blades like today.

I don't even like Halloween anymore.  When my kids were little it was just a fun time to dress up in cute costumes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment