Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Bluebirds

About a week after we put the angel wings at Lynda's grave I was walking over when I noticed a bird sitting on the top of the display.  As it flew away I could see the beautiful blue wings and the rust colored breast and knew a blue bird had stopped there to perch.  Bluebirds are beautiful to me and  they're also a bird that I don't see every day.  When I saw the bluebird resting on the wrought iron plant hanger beside Lynda's grave I  thought about the bird being referred to as "the bluebird of happiness".  How ironic.  This was a bluebird but certainly not a bluebird of happiness in the middle of the cemetery.  But there it sat as if it were part of the display we had created and the symbolism was not lost on me.

There must be flocks and flocks of bluebirds in heaven, each more iridescent than the other. 

I thought that I had read that bluebirds didn't flock but traveled alone or with a partner.  So I thought this bluebird was the only one or at best one of two who lived nearby.

Last week as I was walking around the cemetery looking at stones nearby, I saw another bluebird.  And then another and another.  Obviously I was wrong about the bluebirds not flocking because there not far from Lynda's grave was a small flock of bluebirds.  They spread their wings when they saw me and I watched their blue wings catch the sun's light.  The beautiful undersides of their wings shine and glow when the sun  magnifies the brilliance of the blue.                                                            
a

Apparently they have made this their home or somewhere close.  I see them often when I'm visiting Lynda's grave.  Maybe they're there to remind us all that this world is not our home.  The body we use here on earth is not our final body.  For a Christian, nothing is final about the grave.

Paul said it best.  “We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 5:8.

So today,  two months and three weeks after Lynda left this body and winged her way to heaven with Jesus I look at these beautiful bluebirds and consider them a gentle reminder from God that the cemetery IS the place to celebrate happiness for Lynda.  To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  The only sadness that I have is because I miss her.

When no one disturbs the quiet of the cemetery there are beautiful bluebirds throughout the grounds.  Sometimes a bird lingers so it can remind a grieving mother that true happiness is knowing your child is safe in the arms of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment