Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lynda's Color Etching

Today Russ and I had the most awesome experience.  We were able to watch the artist's interpretation of my drawing and idea for Lynda's headstone be etched by an amazingly talented etching artist, Gail Morton.

We went to the Pontotoc Monument Company in the first place because Gail did the etching and is a colleague of ours who teaches art at North Pontotoc High School.

When we first went to choose a stone it was just weeks after Lynda passed away.  I wasn't prepared for how choosing the lettering for the headstone would affect me.  When they handed me the mock up of the stone with her name, birthday and death...it was overwhelming.  I've never been to a monument place.  I've never imagined what Lynda's headstone would look like.  I wasn't ready to face this task so soon after the funeral but it takes so long to get the stones.  We needed to know how much it was going to cost with the color etching.  So there we were and that day taught me one important thing.  I did not need for the stone to be finished and installed for me to see it for the first time.  When the reaction I had to a computer generated drawing of the font with her name and dates was so emotional,  I knew I needed to see the stone at different stages of development.

Gail was gracious to allow us to watch her etch the stone for the entire process.  It was the most incredible experience both the process of etching the stone and being involved in the final tribute to my daughter.  Gail and I both had made numerous drawings and gone over the tiniest details.  Today was the day of watching the drawing become a part of the stone and it was just the most amazing experience.  God always placed this picture in my mind when I worried about Lynda.  No matter where Lynda was God was always there.  No matter what her earthly conditions were, God's angels were constantly wrapping her in love and ministering to her.  I knew this was what I wanted on her headstone.  God led me to the person that could not only create the piece but would also willingly include us in the process even allowing me to etch some of the drawing and hide Nana loves you in the drawing.

The lettering had already been sandblasted and painted white but the sandblaster has a few more details to finish.  Between the two dates will be a heart and a computer generated scroll design.  The design will be sandblasted and painted white also.   Gail will etch the heart in pink on Monday after they have sandblasted the two designs on each side of the heart.  They'll clean it up and install it at the cemetery soon.  Probably at the end of next week which will be the third month anniversary of Lynda's entry into paradise.

Today I never shed the first tear as I watched the headstone being etched.  I believe the angels that so carefully watched over Lynda ministered to my heart today.  I felt their presence.  I know that today as Gail carefully etched Lynda's likeness on to a black granite stone, God was in that room.  It was holy ground.  We worshiped there.  God drew near and I could almost hear Lynda's sweet laugh as the stone appeared to come to life with the image of her sitting cross legged and clapping.

I am so thankful that God has placed just the right people in my life to provide the final tributes to Lynda.  Her stone is remarkably special which is just as it should be for such a special person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment